Traditional Gluhwein Recipe!
If we were to name one Holiday drink that gives us all the feels, mulled wine is it. Strolling through Christmas Markets sippin' on a Gluhwein simply can't be beat.
Admittedly there are hundreds of different recipes for Gluhwein, and everyone has their own personal touch, but here's a sure thing...
- 2 Bottles of Dry Red Wine (a Cabernet Sauvignon works well, and no need to break the bank with the wine choice here).
- 1 Orange
- 1 1/2 Cups of Water
- 1/2 Cup of White Sugar
- 10 Whole Cloves
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 3 Whole Star Anise
- Amaretto or Rum ("optional", but....)
- Juice the orange into a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the water and sugar into a pot on medium heat until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce the heat and add the orange juice, cloves, cinnamon and star anise.
- Simmer until it starts to look syrupy, about a minute or two.
- Reduce heat even lower and add the wine.
- Keep it at a very low simmer for at least 20 minutes. Don't boil it!
- Strain, add the liquor if using and enjoy!
Tell us about how you like your mulled wine below!